36493Re: Ignorance WAS bliss...

    Aug 4, 2009

      Hi Steve,

      Well, most wine yeasts are of the species  Saccharomyces cerevisiae as is Baker's yeast.  The various strains within this species have alcohol tolerances of around the 14% ABV area.

      However, there are champagne yeast strains that are members of the Saccharomyces bayanus species, such as Lalvin  K1V-1116 and EC-1118, which are a few of the better know strains.

      These strains have an alcohol Tolerance of 18+ % ABV, with some strains used in Turbo washes that will go up to 20% ABV.

      However, as Z Bob mentioned, high ABV in wines and ciders is not always desired if distilling them into fruit brandies, since the higher the ABV, the more flavors are lost in the distilling process.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Steve Spence <steve@...> wrote:

      > Aren't certain yeasts more tolerant of higher alcohol levels than
      > others? I was told that wine yeasts do not get killed off as quickly,
      > allowing a higher percentage of alcohol.
      >

      > Steve Spence
      > Renewable energy and self sufficiency
      > http://www.green-trust.org
      > http://makingthewebwork.blogspot.com/