36489Re: Ignorance WAS bliss...

  • gff_stwrt
    Aug 4, 2009
      Hi, folks and hello 2 (can't pronounce the rest of your name, sorry!)-

      Well, to me the answer is simple.
      I think (never bought any, for reasons that will be obvious) that distillers yeasts come in say 5g or 11g packets.

      Now, I am a baker (so I can get baker's yeast 'free' from our bakery and just have to walk in the door and take some so no trouble ordering and so on.)

      But, because bakeries use larger quantities of yeast to make bread doughs, the dried yeast (and a lot use fresh, not dried) comes in a standard 500g vacuum pack. And of course these bigger packs are cheaper, especially when they are bought by the carton.

      Maybe ten bucks a pack, it's a long time since I actually worked making the bread so I could be quite wrong there.

      I'll ask my son, who does all that now, so I will know the supplier's rate, anyhow.
      So make friends with your local neighbourhood baker....

      Regards,

      (of course...) Bhe Baker

      - In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cestujici2" <cestujici2@...> wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Trid" <triddlywinks@> wrote:
      > >Bulk-wise, baking yeast is going to be cheaper.
      > >
      > > Happy brewing,
      > > Trid
      > >

      > Accepting this as true, and I don't dispute that it most probably is true, the question remains: why is it true? Simple market economics of supply and demand? Or does brewing yeast demand a better standard of living? Why should some yeast be costlier than others?

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic