36450Re: Cognac Grapes...

    Aug 1, 2009

      Hey Baker,

      While the Sultanas grapes might not be good for making wine by themselves, I've used Thompson's seeedless raisins in many of my wine recipes, including apple, blackberry and peach.  Has something to do with the added nutrients, flavor and sweetness.

      Jack Keller in his "The Winemaking Home Page" also recommends them in many of his recipes as well.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Wal and hi, folks,
      >
      > I lived for many years around Mildura where the Sultanas were the grape most grown for dried fruit.
      > It is also known, especially in the USA, as Thompson's Seedless (Raisin, especially when dried).
      > These days it is often blown up to over twice its natural size with the application of gibberelic acid, which I think might be a hormone, and sold as fresh fruit.
      > One can still get beautiful dried sultanas but only from a couple of very small independent packers; the bigger companies mix it with inferior imported fruit, and it is not nearly as nice.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > The Baker

    • Show all 20 messages in this topic