35961Re: Newbe Question

  • rye_junkie1
    Jul 1, 2009
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "KM Services" <km_services@...> wrote:

      > Reflux distiller here: at 1500 watts with my internal element to get to 78 C
      > would take about the same time for the fully packed column, however I use 2#
      > 1500watt to bring to the boil then cut back to one ( so around and hour heat
      > up time). Usually if I am running to achieve 95%ABV for a neutral will take
      > about 5 hours from start to finish for a 18%ABV stripped turbo sugar wash
      > with all the cuts and collect around 3.5 litres of good hearts. I have a
      > stripping column without reflux or packing http://tinyurl.com/cv3mwa and to
      > strip a 25 litre wash down to collect ABV of 10% will take about 2.5 to 3
      > hours start to finish using 3000 watts to bring to the boil and 1500 watts
      > to strip as I am going for neutral.
      >

      > Ken Mc (This is my opinion and if I am wrong I will be corrected I am sure)
      >
      > Hi Jim
      > Yes of course you would. My apology. I'm using a 16 gallon boiler, with a 5
      > gallon wash. My log says this wash had a ABV was 8%.
      >

      > > > I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with. I have a
      > > > PDA-1 with the column extension and have ran a couple of washes
      > > through it, using a wheat germ receipt of Mason's, I started at around
      > > 9:00am and finished around 7:00pm running it up to 204 degrees. I
      > > collected approx 1/2 a gallon of very clear product but this seems like
      > > a very long time to me to make a run? It takes about 2 hours to get it
      > > up to 172 degrees even pre-heating it on the stove first to around 140
      > > degrees, I'm using a 1500 watt hot plate and it's putting out around 2-3
      > > drops per second for the most part. Is this normal? I'm running it with
      > > the needle valve wide open as well.
      > > >
      > > > I didn't take out the forshot's or the heads as I plan on deluting it
      > > to 40% and running it again to clean it up.
      > > > Does anyone have any suggestions? or is this just the nature of the
      > > beast?
      > > >
      > > > Thanks,
      > > >
      > > > Mark

      I am not familiar with the PDA's but I would start looking at your power source. That Hotplate. Ken and I use Internal elements which is a Direct heating method. Most of us use some sort of insulation on the outside of the boiler as well. Also the internal elements we use do not have a thermostat. I bet that hotplate does and it is cycling on and off.
      You are most likely loosing 1/3(maybe more) of your heat input because of an uninsulated boiler, the sheer size of the boiler, and heat lost/transferred between plate and boiler. For a boiler that size you should consider internal elements or just go with propane.
      If I use only my 1500w element for a stripping run once up to temp the takeoff rate is around 2 liters/hour.

      Mason
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic