35960Re: Grains in whiskey

    Jul 1, 2009

      To me Baker, this would be an excellent opportunity for you to really get your hands dirty and make an attempt to malt your own barley,  this would not only give you the satifaction of telling people you make your own malted whiskey "from the ground up", but will add to your overall experience as "The Compleat Distiller" ;).  Instead of using enzymes, try it....

      While malting is a bit of work and somewhat of a pain in the butt, it is fun and not too hard technically.  There is a great description of how to malt in the Brew Your Own site at: http://byo.com/stories/article/indices/44-malt/1097-make-your-own-malt

      Also, Tony's site has some info on it.  Again, i think this would be a great opportunity for ya.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gff_stwrt" <gff_stwrt@...> wrote:

      > Hi, folks,
      >
      > My son-in-law has sown a few hundred acres of barley this year so if the rains fall later in the year (it's had a good start) I will have as much as I like.
      > I have never fermented grains before to distill in my pot still, only sugar washes which I tried first and which were pretty poor, and some fruit brandies, the later ones of which seem quite good.
      > So, given my inexperience and the fact that the barley will be free, would you suggest I just lay in a heap of enzymes and study how to use them?
      > They won't be unreasonably expensive? If larger quantities are a lot cheaper that would probably be the way to go, if they have a long shelf life??
      >
      > Thanks for your help.
      >
      > The Baker
      >
      > PS I wish there was a way to swap samples....... G.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic