35943Re: Newbe Question

    Jun 30, 2009

      HI Mark,

      Since Im just a simple pot distiller and have never used the PDA-1 reflux column with its extension (which I hear is a very good product), I really cant say.

      However, I believe even the reflux distillers around here would have a real problem answering you questions since you have neglected to inform us on a few minor points.

      While you told use what temps your heating it up to, the minor point i think (in my humble opinion) would be what is the size of your pot and how much wash are you trying to heat up????  :(  Since you also didnt provide the ABV of the wash, or the ABV of the total distillation, theres really no way to back into this equation of volume....

      If your only using a 1 gallon pot for that column, then yes, I would say its slow.  But if its a 100 gallon pot then heck - thats ONE FAST RUN...

      Get my drift mark :).  So be a nice dubbie and let my reflux distiller friends know this.

      Vino es Veritas,

      Jim aka Waldo.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "canadianguy236" <hawklinemfg@...> wrote:
      > Hi Group
      > I have a couple of questions I hope you can help me with. I have a
      > PDA-1 with the column extension and have ran a couple of washes through it, using a wheat germ receipt of Mason's, I started at around 9:00am and finished around 7:00pm running it up to 204 degrees. I collected approx 1/2 a gallon of very clear product but this seems like a very long time to me to make a run? It takes about 2 hours to get it up to 172 degrees even pre-heating it on the stove first to around 140 degrees, I'm using a 1500 watt hot plate and it's putting out around 2-3 drops per second for the most part. Is this normal? I'm running it with the needle valve wide open as well.
      > I didn't take out the forshot's or the heads as I plan on deluting it to 40% and running it again to clean it up.
      > Does anyone have any suggestions? or is this just the nature of the beast?
      > Thanks,
      > Mark

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic