35876Re: Air Still

  • thepiro
    Jun 19, 2009
      Even with the Raschig rings and the copper wire in the pot I have had bubbling over, so I tie the lid down by securing the lid to the pot with a luggage strap.

      When using a turbo Sugar wash I tend to strip of as much of the alcohol as I can, then filter it. My next run will come out about 60% and my final run is at 80%.

      My whisky run was managed the same way but starting with a lower strength wash it took 2 runs to get to 30% and the 3rd run gave me the desired result of 60% of good drinking licker.

      The air still is a lot of work, but it has kept me and mine in good boos, it has given me many hours of enjoyment, but I still hanker for the day when it is relegated to a water purifier and I have a big brass thing bubbling away in the yard.

      Regards

      Thepiro
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "johnthefatbloke" <fatbloke@...> wrote:

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "thepiro" <thepiro@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I own an Air still and have been using it for around a year with good results.
      > >
      > > It is a very small unit holding 4 Ltrs at a time, which is good enough to supply boos for a >family and some friends. It will pay for its self in no time. Ideal for a student flat, or for a >person living in town and don't want others to know what they are up to.
      > >
      > > In my opinion it is a good bit of kit for distilling high alcohol sugar washes, and will >produce a spirit that when flavoured will make most types of boos to a more than >reasonable standard.
      > >
      > > It is not suitable for making true whiskeys as the pot size is too small. It took me 9 runs to >get 2Ltrs of 60% whisky out of a 25 Ltr wash. Produce is coming along very nicely sitting >on charred Oak.
      > >
      > > Seriously, the air still is idiot proof to use, and a great way to get into the hobby, but if it is >true whisky or rum you want go for the bigger stuff.
      > >

      > Concur with all said here. Yes, small, not the quickest (takes about 45 to 50 minutes to heat up and then another hour and a 1/2 to hour and 3/4 for it to actually provide the 800mls of "hearts" (I usually bin the first 25mls as foreshots). Then if you leave it running you can get a fair amount more out of it as "tails" to add in later.
      >
      > There is a caveat..........
      >
      > always run it with either some raschig rings or similar (I've also used broken glass) in the bottom, because if the sugar wash isn't absolutely clear, it can over boil/"burp" so you wouldn't want to be using it where it might be a hazard to family/pets.
      >
      > That can be negated by using the rings/glass and/or a 3ml capful of "distillers conditioner" and/or not filling it to the line.
      >
      > There is a greater chance of an over boil/burp if you're not distilling sugar wash in it (I've done wine, mead, cider in mine).
      >
      > Overall, I'd give it 9 out of 10, but with any still, remember it's a boiler first......

    • Show all 35 messages in this topic