34592Re: Air Still was:........ Obtaining a permit to distill

  • thepiro
    Apr 1, 2009
      Essence also called flavouring and comes in bottles or sachets, the flavouring in the latter can be out standing.

      Nice to see that others are having success with the air still

      I found a whisky recipe on this or the others site which is very basic. Big tin of malt extract and 5Lb sugar and some yeast, which I started brewing last night. I also added some yeast nutrient, so when I got up this morning it was bobbling away like the preverbal huka pipe.

      I am also looking at trying another recipe from the same source using 6 tins sweet corn, some corn and maple syrup, but that is in the future.

      Regards

      The Piro

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Christopher Bedwell <eukanubaau@...> wrote:

      > Tell us more aboutmaking essences ? Or do you mean ' beverages made with an essence '?
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >

      > On 01/04/2009, at 8:08 AM, "Mike Novak" <zedrally@...> wrote:
      >
      > I'll happily put my hand up and admit I'm the owner of one of these (Still spirits).
      >
      > Admitedly, I was sceptical about it's use & process, but having used one for the past 6 months, I can recommmend them to anyone who wants to "dangle their toe".
      >
      > I have only used sugar washes, made 2 passes to achieve an average of 78%, then watered down to 40% and carbon filtured, leaving a clean neutral spirit.
      >
      > This process is now proven to me and suits my style of spitits.
      > The range of essences is amazing, although a rum drinker, having 5 different types available for friends to try is helpful. (Oddly, it's amazing how many new friends you make!). Instead of experimenting with washes, my attention has turned to the making of essences, which is an art in itself and very hit and miss ATM. The only sure addition is the colouring, but all good things come eventually.
      >
      > So, for any newcomers who want a fool proof system that looks part of their kitchen, I can say that by following the instructions you won't be let down.

    • Show all 35 messages in this topic