32489Re: Caring for internal elements

  • abbababbaccc
    Dec 4, 2008

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "abbababbaccc"
      > <abbababbaccc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Mason, my recommendation was indeed for 2" column - I forgot you
      had
      > > such a small one :) Anyway, even with 500W aim you'll have to
      take
      > > into account the heat losses - typically close to 500W for
      > > uninsulated 25 liters SS vessel.
      > >
      > > Cheers, Riku
      >

      > So if I understand you correctly, with my currently uninsulated 7.5
      > gallon boiler a 1000 watt element may be necessary to compensate for
      > heat loss at the boiler? I realize there are a bunch of variables
      in
      > this game but I want to make sure i am understanding the basics as I
      > make the Hobby more technical.
      > To add to this, what would be a good insulation to use for the
      boiler?
      > I know a couple of beach towels and some duct tape would help but
      > there has to be a "Good and Reasonable" solution.
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Mason

      That's right. Either 1000W without insulation or that 625W element
      and good insulation. People have used cheap sleeping pads made of
      foam quite succesfully, cut to fit and duct tape together. Another
      good option is floor insulation foam that is used with floor heating
      systems - it tolerates reasonable amount of heat and insulates quite
      well. Rockwool is also efficient but PITA to work with. Then we have
      self adhesive materials used for sound suppression and the list goes
      on - go to your local HW store or cheap mart and start looking around.

      Cheers, Riku
    • Show all 15 messages in this topic