32180Re: Still sizing?

  • Dan
    Nov 3, 2008

      > Sugar gives a good
      > product faster in my opinion but there is still something to be said
      > for the Purist who likes to do it the old fashion way: Grain,
      > Fruit,Molasses,Pot Still,Oak and TIME.

      And that's where I'd like to go with this - as close to traditional
      methods as I can stand. I suspect there will some frustration with
      that approach, and temptation to take shortcuts (sugar wash,
      flavoring, reflux stills, etc), but right now anyway, my interest is
      as much in the craft and art of the hobby as in the final product.
      I'm looking forward to a lot of trial and error :-)

      > 14lbs of malt to six gallons water should give you just over a
      > gallon
      > of low wines so 3 of these batches should be plenty to give you what
      > you are looking for.

      So if I understand correctly, a second run of 1 gal of ~20% ABV low
      wines should result in about 1L of product at 65-70% ABV?

      So to arrive at 2-3L final output, I would need a still that can run
      about 18 gallons in the first distillation. Sound about right? My
      other option would be to make multiple runs in a smaller still.

      Thanks again for chiming in!

      - Dan
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic