282Re: nutrients

  • ebarker@eoncc.com
    Jan 3, 2001
      I was reading a very good book on the history of moonshine,
      can't remember the name of the book, but in Appalachia (in the US)
      mashing vats had open tops in the woodland, tree leaves and
      bird dropping or manure was tolerated and even encouraged into
      the mash. The moonshiners empirical experience had basis in science
      as it provided the elements described below.

      Of course today, we don't need manure or goose dropping, we can
      achieve this through more suitable means.

      --- In new_distillers@egroups.com, Tony & Elle Ackland
      <Tony.Ackland@c...> wrote:

      > > i have not been able to fined "yeast
      > > nutrients" locally. what, in your opinion, can i use
      > > ,"from the store"
      >
      > Brian,
      >
      > Nutrients also need to be present. Yeast cells require phosphorus,
      nitrogen
      > and potassium, as well as amino acids and vitamins, for metabolic
      > processes. The extent to how much is required depends on the
      feedstock
      > being used. The nitrogen requirement may be supplied in the form of
      amino
      > acids or ammonia, ammonium salts or urea. If the solids are
      separated from
      > the sugar solution prior to fermentation (or say starting only with
      sugar)
      > the bulk of the protein will be removed, and hence a potential
      nitrogen
      > source lost. Ammonia or ammonium salts are the preferred source of
      of
      > additional nitrogen if its needed, however avoid using excessive
      amounts
      > because it can kill the yeast. Both nitrogen and phosphorus can be
      supplied
      > by ammonium phosphate (commonly available as a fertilizer). Many
      > fermentations will proceed satisfactorly without vitamin suppliments
      bec
      > ause the fermentation medium contains sufficient of these nutrients,
      > however in most cases, cell growth is enhanced when B-vitamins are
      added.

      > One recipe for nutrient ale salts is
      > 58 g sodium chloride (common table salt)
      > 170 g citric acid
      > 7 g ammonium sulphate
      > 6 g magnesium sulphate
      > 2.5 g grape tannin
      > This mixture is hygroscopic (attracts water), so keep it in a cool
      dry
      > place with a good lid.
      > The "Great New Zealand Home Wine Making Book" suggests to ... "buy
      some
      > ammonium sulphate or ammonium phosphate, and some pottassium
      phosphate or
      > potassium sulphate and add 2g (1/2 teaspoon) of each to every 4.5 L.
      > Another valuable addition is vitamin B1. You can buy these as tiny 3
      > milligram tablets from your local chemist or pharmacy and add one of
      these
      > each 4.5 L" ...
      > Tony
      > http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_distiller