26088Re: Creating the first mash

    Feb 1, 2008

      Im a bit confused here on what your instructions said as you wrote it:

      "Per insttructions on Turbo Yeast 24. 5.8 liters pet 13 pounds of
      sugar. Says to pitch the yeast at 104 degrees."

      If the instructions say 5.8 liters (of water) "PER" 13 pounds of
      sugar -
      thats absolutly ridiculous. That would give you a starting SG of 1.380
      with an alcohol level of 59.8% alcohol ROTFLMAO. This is WAY WAY out
      of line with any known hydrometer specs, Hydrometer/Sugar/Alcohol
      Tables or capabilities of any known yeast strain lol.

      Heck, if you have found a Turbo yeast strain that can do that - why
      bother with a pot still and please, PLEASE tell us where you got that
      stuff :):):).

      Anyways, on a more serious note, for every 1/2 pound ( or 1 1/8th cup)
      of pure cane sugar in a 1 gallon wash - this will give you 3.5% of
      potential alcohol (ie. 1 pound / gallon = 7% abv).

      There is a really neat self-calulation table at:
      http://homedistiller.org/wash-sugar.htm#neutral on Tony's site.

      Also a good Hydrometer/Sugar/Alcohol Chart at:

      As far as the temp goes, most baker's yeasts say to pitch in a quart
      so of warm water (105F - 110F) to activate, but these are dry yeasts
      and the water cools down really quick.

      What i would do is re-read those instructions and then follow what
      Bryan stated in his post. The most abv I would shoot for in your first
      wash would be about a 15% to 16.5% abv to start off with - about 2.3 -
      2.5 lbs of sugar per gallon of wash....

      Also please heed what Bryan said and stay away from them Turbo yeasts.
      Ive heard nothing but problems with them things in these postings -
      to mention the fact of hearing about off-flavors. If you want a nice
      high abv wash (up to 18%) and quick fermentation, I strongly recommend
      the EC-1118 yeast strain (Saccharomyces bayanus) made by Lalvin with
      some yeast nutrients containing DAP (di-ammonium phosphates and yeast
      hulls - about 1.5 tsp per gallon) also add about 1/4 tsp of acid blend
      or 1 cup of orange juice / grapefruit juice per gallon to get your Ph
      down to around 5.5 or so for starters :).

      Vino es Veritas,

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "bbornais" <bbornais@...>

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic