26083Re: Creating the first mash

  • bbornais
    Jan 31, 2008
      Treat it like any other yeast. The instructions on various products in
      this hobby are problematic to new distillers.

      The principle is the same. These yeast are just more ethanol tolerant
      than other strains. They can take higher temps, though I would not
      recommend it.

      As I have stated before, I don't feel that you should bother with
      turbo's. I did it when I was first learning as well, and it was a long
      while before I sorted the confusion out.

      My suggestion at this point is:

      1) to pitch at normal temp. (i.e. room temp.)

      The problem with this, is that you risk contamination.

      2) dilute the starting gravity down a bit to avoid excessive congeners,
      as you will be stressing your yeasts at this sugar/alcohol
      concentration.

      My future suggestion would be to obtain a large HDPE barrel.

      Why?

      1) you can do large washes with lower S.G., which will produce less
      congeners.

      2) There is less risk of infection, as you will add the water (approx.
      160-180L to 40kg sugar) at the proper temperature. Why? Because you can
      make a large yeast starter when you don't bother with turbo's. Just
      simply supplement with your favorite yeast nutrient for a healthy
      ferment.

      3) Do a few stripping runs, real fast, to obtain a clear distillate,
      then you can take the time to properly fractionate your 'low wines'
      that you have collected. If you do the calculations, it works out in
      your favour.

      Hope this helps,

      Bryan.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Miller" <bill1burp@...>
      wrote:

      > Ok already got a snag. Per insttructions on Turbo Yeast 24. 5.8
      liters
      > pet 13 pounds of sugar. Says to pitch the yeast at 104 degrees. I
      think
      > I have a problem with this. At 104 degrees will it kill the yeast. I
      > think so.
      >
      > My water and sugar got to hot so I will wait until morning to add the
      > turbo. I should be at about 74 to 76 degrees.
      >
      > Did I read the instructions wrong or is this the way Turbo Yeast
      works?

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic