25443Re: stills

  • Tarvus
    Dec 4, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sn_cur" <sn_cur@...> wrote:
      > Don't disagree that propane is quite safe when used properly, an does
      the job fine. But
      > why is it "better" than electricity? What is the big advantage? For a
      number of reasons I
      > prefer electricity, but I think they are about equal overall.

      My personal take on it is this:
      Propane is infinitely adjustable, instantly responsive, and capable of
      overpowering the still if required (as in the case of running a refluz
      still like a pot still). Any cook who has cooked on a gas stove versus
      an electric stove will almost always prefer the gas. Same in
      distilling.

      On the downside, you basically have to use propane outdoors. You may
      have a slightly higher fire hazard with propane. However, you don't
      have to worry about keeping your elements covered with distillate, so
      the offset is less risk of explosion and more flexibility with small
      batch size.

      Oh yeah - one final advantage - propane works during power outages. :)
    • Show all 40 messages in this topic