25442Re: Reflux Column Condenser Question

  • sn_cur
    Dec 4, 2007
      VM is different from the offset head/valved, or a Bokabob slanted plate design, (which are
      both liquid management, or LM, and are good designs). VM has an inline reflux condenser
      at the top of the column, and a product arm with a gate valve in it coming off just above
      the packing, that feeds vapour into a Liebig. VM can usually be added to a offset head/
      valved, or a Bokabob slanted plate design, it just requires adding a 3/4 or 1" threaded
      fitting to the column in the right place (just above the packing), and attaching a gate valve
      and a condenser.

      I have a VM column, it works very well, is very easy to use, and cleaning the inside of the
      column is a breeze cause it is just a hollow tube. I have not tried a CM or LM column.

      You can see photos of my column here:

      http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/Sinker_2007/5_Assemblednoinsul.jpg
      http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s197/Sinker_2007/6_Head.jpg

      sn

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "rye_junkie" <rye_junkie@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the reply Morgan. Being new to the reflux idea I will
      > assume that CM is controlling your reflux by the amount of coolant
      > used and VM is more on the lines of a where
      > the vapor is condensed in the still head and by valve control,
      > distillate is diverted either back in the column(refluxed) or into a
      > collection container. You pretty much answered my question with your
      > short answer. However you have caused me to do some more research and
      > I am now considering the offset head design such as the one described
      > in smileys book "making pure corn whiskey".
      > My original intent was to build a column similar to the essential
      > extractor design from Brewhaus. Who knows where this will end now.
      >
      > Mason
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "morganfield1"
      > <morganfield1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Mason,
      > > The short answere is, criss cross cooling tubes will condense more
      > > vapor per inch than cooling tubes around the "outside" of the column.
      > > But for a complete answere, we need more information, such as, what are
      > > ou trying to build? You say you want to "use the liebig you currently
      > > have", which suggests you are aiming for a CM rig, or a VM rig. I have
      > > never used a vapor management still, but I have heard praises from many
      > > who have, well worth the effort to build. I have built and used a
      > > coolant management rig, and I can tell you, they are very finicky. HTH
      > >
      > > Tip one, Morgan

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic