25393Re: [new_distillers] Re: Corn Whiskey Recipes

  • Louis Lenz
    Nov 29, 2007
      Well Tarvus, i gotta say that corn whiskey flour recipe is SWEET, i´ve been trying all kinds of things to get a good conversion, and this is outstanding, i got a 1.070 and hardly any work, and i´m really looking forward to not straining so much, i can´t wait until sunday!!  Thanks, Lou

      Tarvus <tarvus33991@...> wrote:
      --- In new_distillers@ yahoogroups. com, "Rob" <robobline@. ..> wrote:

      > Hello all,
      > Would anyone care to share a good corn recipe with me/us? I
      would
      > like to make a all corn/malt mash without using suger. I would be
      > using a 15 gallon boiler. If anyone would like to share a great
      > recipe, I'm all ears.
      > Thanks, Rob

      Hey Rob,

      I've done a number of pure corn mashes.

      #1 - the hard way...
      In the past, I've used 80% cracked corn and 20% 6-row barley malt.
      Mashing cracked corn (even with barley malt) is a pain. (Same thing
      if you substitute corn meal for cracked corn.) It's actually a 2
      step process. You have to add a portion of the barley malt to the
      corn (about 1/4 of your malt)and mash it prior to boiling it to
      gelatinize the corn. Add a pint of water per pound of grain at a
      temp 18F above your planned strike temp. Shoot for a 150F mash temp
      and mash for at least 1/2 hour. This will only partially convert
      your corn but will loosen up the corn enough that it won't become a
      thick viscous lump of cereal when you boil it. (And you have to
      boil it to gelatinize it).

      After 1/2 hour of mashing, add another cup per pound of boiling
      water and ramp up the flame under the kettle until the whole mash is
      boiling. Boil for an hour or so to totally gelatinize the corn.
      Add a final cup per pound of COLD water. Allow the whole thing to
      cool down to about 155F (this will take a LONG time depending on the
      size of your mash) then add the rest of the barley malt. This will
      drop the entire mash temp to about 148 - 150F. Stir in the recently
      added 6 row malt and let it steep. When the whole thing cools down
      to room temp (hours later), transfer to your fermenter and pitch
      your yeast( I use a new, 32 gallon plastic garbage can sanitized
      with bleach and water and thoroughly rinsed.) Don't worry about
      straining the grain out - just dump it all in the fermenter.
      Ferment it "on the grain".

      If you use an electric heating element you'll have to strain the
      mash before distilling. This is a real pain in the ass. Good
      luck! If you are lucky enough to be using a propane or natural gas
      heat source, it is not necessary to strain it - just add the wash to
      your boiler to distill - grain hulls and all. If distilling "on the
      grain" do NOT fill the boiler more than 1/2 full of mash! You have
      to be very careful that the grain in the mash does not swell up and
      plug the column or lyne arm of your still or you risk explosion from
      resulting pressure increase in your boiler! (This almost happened
      to me the first time I over-filled and ran a corn mash in my boiler).

      #2 - the "easy way"...
      Buy corn flour from the grocery store (it's easy to find and quite
      inexpensive. I pay $1.89 US per kilo. They sell it for making corn
      tortillas). Use a 50% corn flour mash with 50% corn malt, or an 80%
      corn flour 20% 6-row barley malt mash. No need to boil this mash
      because the corn flour is already gelatinized from the milling.
      Mash at 148 - 150F for an hour or two. Cool to room temp and pitch
      your yeast. Virtually all of the corn flour will convert and you'll
      just have a very few barley or corn husks in the mash from the
      malt. No need to strain if you're careful pouring the mash from
      your fermenter.

      Use your favorite yeast and favorite distilling technique. Age on
      oak at 125 proof for a really smooth bourbon-like result!

      The #1 method is inexpensive but time consuming. The #2 method is a
      bit more expensive but MUCH easier and a lot less time comsuming.

      Good luck and let us know how your hooch turns out! :)

      Tarvus
      ps - will post separately my techniques for malting, drying and
      grinding corn.