25382Re: Corn Whiskey Recipes

  • Tarvus
    Nov 24 9:05 AM
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <robobline@...> wrote:

      > Thank you Tarvus. That is some really great information from both
      > posts.
      >
      > From your recipes, do both taste the same, or do you perfer one
      over
      > the other? Also how much water would one use.
      > Thanks again and I will tring it out very soon.
      > Rob

      Hey Rob,

      They both taste good, but I have not done a side by side comparison.
      They both definitely taste like corn liquor! :)

      Try this recipe and technique
      8.8 ponds corn flour (it comes in 2 kilo sacks)
      11.2 pounds malted corn (finely milled. Measure the weight of the
      malt, not the weight of the corn before you malted it)
      5 gallons water

      Heat 2.5 gallons of water to 165F. Add the grains and mix
      thoroughly. The mash temp should drop to between 145 and 150F. Let
      the mash rest at this temp, stirring occasionally.

      In a separate vessel, heat the balance of the water. You want to
      shoot for a mash temp of 148-150F and the thermal mass of the grain
      mash is somewhat greater than the thermal mass of the 2.5 gallons of
      hot water you'll be adding so take the difference between the mash
      temp and 150 degrees, add that to 150 degrees and then add a few
      degrees more to compensate for thermal mass. (it's better to
      undershoot since you can always heat the mash later if needed). You
      want to heat the 2nd batch of water to this point which you
      calculate. When you add the additional hot water, you should be
      pretty close to your target temp.

      Stir the mash well, cover and let is sit for an hour or two adding
      heat as necessary to keep it in the 148-150F range. Stir
      occasionally.

      Keep covered and allow to cool below 85F. Aerate thoroughly by
      scooping and pouring the wort into your fermenter several times or by
      shaking your carboy if using one of those as a fermenter. Take your
      hydrometer reading before pitching yeast. You can expect something
      in the range of 1.05 with this technique. You probably won't get
      complete 100% conversion of all starch in your mash, but don't sweat
      it. If you use the Prestige Whiskey Distillers yeast, the
      amyloglucosidase in the yeast mix will convert additional starches.

      An electric digital meat thermometer is a real help in all grain
      mashing as you get an instantaneous temp read and don't have to read
      a goo covered immersible thermometer and deal with the lag time a
      thermometer has.

      Some people add sugar to the mash to boost the alcohol yeild, but if
      you do this, it won't be a "pure corn" liquor. It'll be corn flavored
      and it'll probably be good to drink, but it won't be "pure corn".
      Doing a pure corn mash is a lot of work, but it's worth the effort!

      If you do small sequential batches, you might want to use the backset
      from a previous distillation as part of your mash water in subsequent
      mashes. You can also dump your cooled mash onto the dregs from a
      previous fermentation. Both techniques will help develop a "house
      flavor" to your corn liquor. If you search here and in the
      distillers groups on "backset" or "slopping back" you may find some
      useful into on these techniques.

      Let us know how your corn turns out!
      Tarvus
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic