25307Re: fermentation

  • bbornais
    Nov 15, 2007
      I assume that one does not need to boil this mixture in order to
      obtain just as healthy of a fermentation? The reason I ask is that
      for neutral alcohol, most will be fermenting more than 5gal at a time
      for the wash distillations.

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Sherman" <pintoshine@...>
      wrote:

      > Great post Jim.
      > You know all but the acid is contained in a single source. I
      > discovered toasted wheat germ back in the early eighties. It has
      > everything sugar needs to do a good fermentation.
      > Mix 5 gallons of water, 12 oz wheat germ, juice for acid or 1/2 tsp
      > citric acid and boil for an hour and a half to develop the flavor.
      > This ferments violently and besides that it tastes like a wheat
      > whiskey. Aged on oak it makes a clean dry wheat whiskey.
      >
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jamesonbeam1"
      > <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi CQ,
      > >
      > > Ok lets get back to fermenting a sugar wash 101.
      > >
      > > First, plain white cane sugar has no nutrients in it.
      > >
      > > Second, lime juice has not nutrients either - just citric acid
      which
      > > only adjusts your wash PH - and lowers the acid/alkaline levels,
      > > which is tested by ph test strips or a ph titration kit.
      > >
      > > Third, yeast needs something to attach itself to in order to grow
      > > and multiply, then produce alcohol - otherwise, it will just sink
      > > the bottom of the fermenter and die. These solids usually come
      from
      > > grains, pulps in fruits or solids in molassas, etc.
      > >
      > > Yeast is a single cell plant (actually a plant fungus thingy)
      that
      > > requires nutrients such as DAP (Di-ammonium phosphates), vitamins
      > > such as B-complex and other minerals along with some nitrogen
      etc.
      > > in order to grow an multiply.
      > >
      > > To put it in very, very simple terms , it goes through 2 stages -
      an
      > > Aerobic stage where it ingests the nutrients and sugars and
      > > multiplies, then an Anaerobic growth stage where it starts
      ingesting
      > > the sugars and pissing out alcohol and farting out CO2 (pardon my
      > > french :):).
      > >
      > > My advice to you is to go visit Tony Ackland's site at:
      > >
      > > http://homedistiller.org/
      > >
      > > and study the fermentation process for sugar washes and theories -

      > > read, read, read. Also here is a good site for learning about
      yeast
      > > generation:
      > >
      > > http://www.dakotayeast.com/yeast_production.html
      > >
      > > To really get started, you will need some yeast nutrients
      (contains
      > > DAP and yeast hulls) that can be bought at any wine/beer makers
      > > supplier.
      > >
      > > Since you have a hydrometer and a reflux still (which im also
      > > assuming since your getting that high a distillation in alcohol
      and
      > > know what your wash abv is), here is a very simple recipe for
      some
      > > neutral alcohol that i know works and will produce a 1 gallon
      wash
      > > of about 17% abv (which is about the max that your Premier Cuvee
      > > wine yeast can achieve):
      > >
      > > -2.0 lbs white sugar
      > > - .5 lbs Dark Brown Sugar (with ingredients- Sugar, Molassas -
      not
      > > the fake stuff that has caramel coloring)
      > > -1 tsp yeast nutrient
      > > -juice of 5-6 limes - or 1/2 can frozen orange juice
      > > -1 packet of yeast
      > > -1/2 lb of Rice Krispies (for the solids and vitamin Bs and
      minerals)

      > > -Boil the juice, sugars and cereal till it turns into a mash.
      > > -Add nutrients.
      > > -Add aerated water to make up 1 gallon. Let cool.
      > > -Stir up yeast in a pint of the wash for 30 minutes. Then
      Pitch.
      > > -Stir at least 2 times a day.
      > >
      > > If you want to make more then a gallon just increase ingredients
      > > accordingly (except the yeast - 1 pack should be good for up to 5
      > > gallons - also when you make another batch just throw some of the
      > > old yeast back in as long as it is still bubbling).
      > >
      > > Good luck and
      > > Vino es Veritas,
      > > Jim.
      > >

      > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, chris quine <cvquine@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi Jim,
      > > > CQ here, 1.110 starting, ending after one week was1.094 at
      73.4
      > > deg. In the next few days not much diffrentice. For the next week
      > > lost track ( messing with it ) I put the whole gal. in the still
      > > Started collecting at 172 and stopped at 176 degs.
      > > > No yeast nutrients, other than the juce from 5 or 6 limes,
      also
      > > I have no way to ck PH.
      > > > Solids? ( This is new to me, ) yeasties need something to
      hang
      > > on to? cork,orange peels or ?
      > > > Yes, I used just plain white sugar, cheep stuff.
      > > > Thanks for
      > > the come-back Jim----cq
      > > > jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@> wrote:
      > > > Hi C.Q.,
      > > >
      > > > Im a little confused here - you say the starting SG was 10.0 -
      did
      > > you
      > > > mean 1.100, 1.110 - or the Balling was 10.0 (in which case you
      > > would a
      > > > only had about a 5% wort) - not sure what you ment.
      > > >
      > > > Also, what was the ending SG? and how much wort did you put in
      > > your
      > > > still???
      > > >
      > > > Premier Cuvee can operate up to 35 C - about 95 F per their
      > > > specifications - but it is a bit warm at 88 F.
      > > >
      > > > How much yeast nutrients did you add and what was the PH? Did
      you
      > > add
      > > > any solids to the sugar wort for the yeasties to hang on to and
      > > was it
      > > > just white sugar?
      > > >
      > > > If you can answer these questions, maybe i can help ya.
      > > >
      > > > Vino es Veritas,
      > > > Jim.
      > > >
      > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "cvquine" <cvquine@>

      > > wort,
      > > > first
      > > pint.
      > > to a
      about
      > > 10.0
      > > > @
      > > and
      > > > do
      > > > party

      > > > Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your
      > > homepage.

    • Show all 28 messages in this topic