25303Re: fermentation

  • rye_junkie
    Nov 15, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, chris quine <cvquine@...> wrote:

      > Hi Jim,
      > CQ here, 1.110 starting, ending after one week was1.094 at 73.4
      deg. In the next few days not much diffrentice. For the next week I
      lost track ( messing with it ) I put the whole gal. in the still
      Started collecting at 172 and stopped at 176 degs.
      come-back Jim----cq
      > jamesonbeam1 <jamesonbeam1@...> wrote:
      > Hi C.Q.,

      Hello CQ,
      I'm Mason. I have had a similar problem to this, I just had a little
      more patience with it, so far anyway. Back on October 2nd I made up a
      sugar wash to a 1.100sg. It started so slow that I added some barley
      malt to it and made a big ol mess. (stop laughing Jim). Anyways, as
      of last night it is still slowly fermenting and is at 1.020sg. It
      smells fine and looks fine but at this point I am considering tossing
      it. I may distill it this weekend though just to see what i get.
      Some say it is a waste of time to go over 1.080 and I am in that
      category now. As I believe sherman said, "I like distilling,
      watching bubbles through an airlock, not so much". Jim seems to be
      having good luck with the ec1118. I like distillers yeast or bread
      yeast. This high gravity wash was my first without a turbo and last
      without one. The black label turbo that I used fermented the same sg
      out in 3 days and thats the way i will go in the future next time I
      want some vodka for vanilla extract or strawberry shine. Keep it
      under 1.090 and you should get good results even with bread yeast.
      Thats my 2 cents.

      Mason
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic