24515Re: Condenser Question

  • duds2u
    Aug 9, 2007
      Gravity has to have it's way in a worm condenser and have a
      continuous gradual downhill run to the output.
      If you make a double helix for the worm, half the direction of flow
      will be uphill and liquid doesn't like flowiing uphill of it's own
      accord.
      You would end up with a pool of liquid at the bottom of the double
      helix that will block any flow. Eventually you will pressurise the
      pot and it will forcibly blow the condensed alcohol out the end of
      your condenser. If you happen to have a flame anywhere near the
      output you could end up with a flamethrower.
      Cheers
      Mal T.

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "sonum norbu" <blanik@>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > Interesting post Harry. I've often wondered why double helix
      > coils were used. I thought it was simply a method of saving
      > space. :)
      > >
      > > I bought my old pot still and assessories - for an outrageous
      > price, I now realize - and the condenser is sixteen feet of 0.375
      > inch tube coiled about ten inches diameter, making eight coils in a
      > five gallon bucket of water.
      > >
      > > Would it make a great difference if it were converted into a
      > smaller diameter double helix condenser?
      > >
      > > dawg
      >

      > Not really. You'd still have the same amount of heat transfer
      > surface (the tubing), just compressed into a smaller space.
      > Therefore heat dissipation would be the same. A worm in a tub is
      > fine for your setup. BTU's in = BTU's out. There's nothing magic
      > about it. And, if it ain't broke, don't 'fix' it. :)
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic