24057Re: New question

    May 3, 2007
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "yagr11" <yagr1@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the advice. So I tasted it, just a little off the top,
      > so to speak. It definately wasn't sweet; at least not as sweet as
      > 12 lbs peaches and 5 lbs sugar should be (it was a very sweet drink
      > before fermentation). It almost tastes a bit sour. That said,
      > shouldn't 5 gallons of the stuff take longer than 2 days to ferment
      > out? What do you think? Distill it? I have a feeling I may only
      > get a few dribbles out...

      You may not think so, but that's a low sugar content mash. This is
      desirable for fast ferments and clean alcohol (no yeast stress
      by-products). Most fruits have relatively low sugar content in relation
      to overall weight. 2 days to ferment that amount of sugar potential is
      not uncommon.

      Peaches have a sugar content ranging from 7% to 12%. The average is 8%.
      Using good distilling practices with few inefficiencies, the alcohol
      yield per 100 kg (220 lbs) of fruit is about 5 litres (1.3 gal) @
      azeotrope (95.6%abv).

      Your fruit will give about 1/20th of that, roughly 1/2 pint, plus the
      yield from the added sugar, roughly another 2.5 pints. That's a total
      of 3 pints @ 95% abv, if you're using a good reflux still. If using a
      potstill you can look at somewhere between 4 and 5 pints @ 70-80%.

      These figures are best-practice yields. If you get even 20% lower yield
      than that, you're doing ok.

      HTH