21382Re: [new_distillers] Re: Specific Gravity

  • donald holcombe
    Aug 12, 2006
      A hydrometer measures the weight of water combined with another substance relative to the weight of water alone. Be it sugar (preferment )or alcohal (after distillation) .
      The preferment hydrometers are calculated from near water and up. The post distillation hydrometer is calculated near water and below. Here they are referred to as a Proof & Tralle . Specific Gravity is the main way to calculate the sugar or the alcohol content of a given mixure Preferment or post distillation. I think the coment about the mixture of alcohal and water was just Antagonistic !We aint doing Rocket science here. Your coment about not needing SG of the finish product is just a matter of symantics because we dont all call a Alcometer a hydrometer. RELAX this Sport is supposed to be Refreshing and FUN ! LIFE is tooo short to spend it Picking Frog Hairs.
      Andrew Bugal <bwyze44@...> wrote: I admit that I am not the most advanced distiller here but I am confused by your question.

      If you have a mix of alcohol and water, SG is not a point of consideration as you have distilled and cut the product. I assume you would most likely be more interested in the alcohol content than it's SG. For that, you would use an alcoholmeter.

      What is the ABV of the product being cut? What is it's temperature when checking the aldohol content?

      A hydrometer used in a mix of alcohol and water is at best academic and a waste of time. Nothing of benefit to the process will be gained by attempting it.

      Regards,

      Bwyze

      joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:
      WHAT?

      chosenanothergirlanotherplanet <chosenanothergirlanotherplanet@...> wrote: Think you might be wrong here Harry, it is my understanding that 800ml
      of water added to 200ml of ethanol would have a volume of less than
      1000ml and hence would be slightly more dense than your calculations show.

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Davis" <davis668@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Can anybody give me the SG of a 20% alc. water mix??
      > > Ditto for 40%
      >

      > Yup.
      > 20% = 960 SG
      > 40% = 920 SG
      >
      > Easy to work out.
      > 1 litre water = 1 kg = 1,000g = 1,000 degrees of the hydrometer.
      > 1 litre alcohol = 800g = 800 degrees of the hydrometer.
      >
      > 20% alc = 200ml = 160g
      > 80% water = 800ml = 800g
      > Total weight = 800 + 160 = 960g = 960 degrees hydrometer.
      >
      > If you're trying to use a beer/wine hydrometer then you're out of
      > luck. Their readable scale is out of range (they're not long
      > enough). Buy a spirit hydrometer (alcoholometer).
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Regards
      Joe