21379Re: [new_distillers] Re: Specific Gravity

  • joe giffen
    Aug 11, 2006
      WHAT?

      chosenanothergirlanotherplanet <chosenanothergirlanotherplanet@...> wrote: Think you might be wrong here Harry, it is my understanding that 800ml
      of water added to 200ml of ethanol would have a volume of less than
      1000ml and hence would be slightly more dense than your calculations show.

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Davis" <davis668@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Can anybody give me the SG of a 20% alc. water mix??
      > > Ditto for 40%
      >

      > Yup.
      > 20% = 960 SG
      > 40% = 920 SG
      >
      > Easy to work out.
      > 1 litre water = 1 kg = 1,000g = 1,000 degrees of the hydrometer.
      > 1 litre alcohol = 800g = 800 degrees of the hydrometer.
      >
      > 20% alc = 200ml = 160g
      > 80% water = 800ml = 800g
      > Total weight = 800 + 160 = 960g = 960 degrees hydrometer.
      >
      > If you're trying to use a beer/wine hydrometer then you're out of
      > luck. Their readable scale is out of range (they're not long
      > enough). Buy a spirit hydrometer (alcoholometer).
      >

      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry

      Regards
      Joe