21376Re: [new_distillers] Re: Distillation Time?

  • Jan Wouter
    Aug 11, 2006
      Well, let me try to explain it in another way. Excuse me if my english is a
      bit off, since it is not my mother tongue.
      When you heat a liquid, it starts to boil when it reaches its boiling point.
      No matter how much energy you put into it, it will stay at the boiling
      point. When your liquid is a mixture of alcohol and water the boliling point
      will change when the alcohol evaporates from your liquid.
      That means that the boiling point will rise in temperature.
      There is no way you can adjust a bi-metalic switch (thermostat) to this,
      because that will only switch between off or on, or boil or no boil.
      That is why you need to adjust the amount of energy you add to your wash,
      because that allows you to adjust the amount of vapour that is coming from
      your wash.
      That is what you can and want to control, and not the temperature.
      I have been distilling for over a year now, and while it is still on mjy
      wishlist, I still don't have/use a thermometer, but look at the process and
      use my sense and senses.

      Regards
      Jan Wouter