21276Re: Distillation Time?

  • abbababbaccc
    Aug 1, 2006
      Few points to Harry's excellent post.

      200 liters boilers are not unheard of in hobby circles, although the
      common sizes tend to be from 25 to 100 liters. Some like to make more
      at one go. It's also beneficial to have some headspace in your
      boiler, especially if processing malt mashes. For a 25 liters malt
      mash you can very well use 50 liters or even 75 liters boiler and the
      foaming won't bother you much. This is especially usefull when doing
      quick stripping runs using high power.

      You can use several heating elements to achieve quick warmup and
      slower distillation matched to your column size.

      The 2" column is NOT the only choice we have. I know many examples of
      2.5" and 3" columns and even some 4" columns. The quality tends to
      suffer some as we go for larger columns, but there are ways to fix
      that as well. There's also the possibility of using multiple 2"
      column to handle increased vapor production.

      Cheers, Riku

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic