19619Re: Pro's and con's of the Mini Still

  • Marc Verheyden
    Mar 4, 2006
      Thank you very much Alex,

      I think you covered every thing nicely, I'll go and have a look at
      your picture. I will try to take some pictures as I atempt to build
      the Mini Still

      Cheers
      Marc

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, _{*L*}_ <bokakob@...> wrote:

      > Marc, six inch coils feels just right for 3 feet tall 2" diameter
      copper pipe. I agree on that. The collection plate should be just
      under the coil with its own directing plate soldered to it. MOST
      important are two things -- there MUST be a vertical clear space
      between the lower (collection) and the upper (directing) plates in
      order for vapors to pass through. The other thing to watch for is to
      have a horizontal overlap for about quarter-inch or a bit more. This
      way you get very efficient unit. And the last but not least thing is
      to MAKE SURE that the inclination of collection plate is such that
      the liquid collected in it will COMPLETELY submerge the take off
      tube.
      > Those are the only three critical items:
      > 1. Vertical gap for safety
      > 2. Horizontal overlap for efficiency
      > 3. Total take off tube submergence for efficiency
      > The rest be more or less variable. You can even run this unit
      without any thermometer. I don't use them anymore. I adjusted the
      reflux-takeoff-heat ratio so that the condensate just stops dripping
      after most of good alcohol is gone out of the mash.
      > You did not get the picture because I did not mail it directly
      to you. The same picture is posted in the files section of <new
      distillers> and <distillers> groups. If you build this unit please
      share the success with others.