19610Re: [new_distillers] Re: Pro's and con's of the Mini Still

  • _{*L*}_
    Mar 4, 2006
      Marc, six inch coils feels just right for 3 feet tall 2" diameter copper pipe. I agree on that. The collection plate should be just under the coil with its own directing plate soldered to it. MOST important are two things -- there MUST be a vertical clear space between the lower (collection) and the upper (directing) plates in order for vapors to pass through. The other thing to watch for is to have a horizontal overlap for about quarter-inch or a bit more. This way you get very efficient unit. And the last but not least thing is to MAKE SURE that the inclination of collection plate is such that the liquid collected in it will COMPLETELY submerge the take off tube.
      Those are the only three critical items:
      1. Vertical gap for safety
      2. Horizontal overlap for efficiency
      3. Total take off tube submergence for efficiency
      The rest be more or less variable. You can even run this unit without any thermometer. I don't use them anymore. I adjusted the reflux-takeoff-heat ratio so that the condensate just stops dripping after most of good alcohol is gone out of the mash.
      You did not get the picture because I did not mail it directly to you. The same picture is posted in the files section of <new distillers> and <distillers> groups. If you build this unit please share the success with others.
      Best regards, Alex (BOKAKOB)

      _{*L*}_
      Pluralitas non est ponenda sine necessitate
      http://briefcase.yahoo.com/bokakob