19608Re: Pro's and con's of the Mini Still

  • Marc Verheyden
    Mar 4, 2006
      Thanks Alex,

      At first I thought it was your design then you posted then I thought
      maybe someone modified it. Well I'm glad to find a orignal design
      picture! But I still like the current design.

      I haven't seen your attached picture but I have been viewing these
      emails via the new_distillers site, I normaly get them though
      hotmail but hotmail has been stuffing up lately. I'm not getting
      them in the right time line, some emails will turn up 2 days late
      while most are ok. Sorry Alex for going off topic for abit.

      I know you designed the Mini Still for a compact unit to fit say on
      the cooking stove. Do you have any tips for people who insist on
      using 2" copper tube? Like length, position of the collection plate
      and length of the double helix coil? Harry suggested a six inch
      double helix coil, or was it Harry's text find? I'll leave it there.

      Cheers
      Marc

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, _{*L*}_ <bokakob@...> wrote:

      > Dear Mark, the picture you saw was the original design which I
      invented a while ago and it required the reflux to be dumped back in
      the reflux column by means of this lower "return" tube. If you would
      close off the needle valve the condensate would go back entirely. I
      made this still it works very fine.

      > However, when I was making it I decided that there is an easier
      way to dump excess of the distillate back in the column. By means of
      a simple overflow and directing this overflow in the column middle
      by means of a simple downward spigot. This spigot is cut from the
      lower plate before soldering is done. After the plate is in place, a
      simple push down with a screwdriver or a thin file does the job.

      > I attached the picture to illustrate it. Cheers, Alex (aka
      BOKAKOB)

      > Marc Verheyden <mavnkaf@...> wrote:
      > Hi Alex,
      >
      > I had found two pictures on a Australian brewing forum last night,
      the guy who displayed it was praising the mini still. His name was
      Justin I think. Anyway the picture shows a quarter inch copper tube
      > going from the product tube, just above the needle valve, across
      the to the column and into the column just under the collection
      plate. I don't think its needed as your design does the same thing.
      I added the picture in the photo section under Marc so you can see
      it. Wrongly I thought it was your mod. Cheers Marc

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, _{*L*}_ <bokakob@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Dear Mark! I am consumed with anticipation to learn about an
      extra reflux tube. Can you please enlighten me because I did not
      catch it in time? Thank you.
    • Show all 27 messages in this topic