      From: Stillwaters
      To: new_distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [new_distillers] Re: double distillation
      Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 11:01:14 -0000

      There is some very good discussion on the topic starting at message
      #31403 in the Distillers forum with comments from Mike Nixon et. al.
      Or you can search the archives for "Still heating - Points to
      ponder".
      Made a believer out of me!
      Regards
      SW

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "stevolate" <stevolate@y...>
      wrote:

      > "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:
      > >
      > > What is the advantage in reducing the low-wines to 40%abv for
      > > redistillation?
      > > wal
      >
      > Hi the reason to dilute the run, is when diluted it leaves more in
      > boiler from second run. If you do not dilute you concentrate the
      > fusels and do not get much better separation on the second run. It
      > needs more liquid to spread the fusels over to get better
      separation
      > on subsequent runs. As 5% of your product is a mixture of what is
      in
      > the boiler it is much better to have a lower concentration of low
      wines.
      > I hope this makes sense.
      >
      > Happy drinking
      > Stevo