17677Re: reusing yeast

    Oct 12, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "vodkadaddy1950"
      <jscott315@c...> wrote:

      > i am trying to use the sludge from the bottom of my last batch,
      > instead of buying new yeast....but i cant get the fermenting
      > started...can some one help me with what my problem may be....i was
      > told to give the yeast some food such as molasses...if that is the
      > problem ....how much molasses do i add to a 25 litre batch that is a
      > sugar water recipe....and can i add it to the batch that has already
      > been mixed...please help !!!!
      > scott from dallas

      You need something in the order of 10 million healthy yeast cells per
      mL of wash to start a good ferment. This usually requires growing
      them up as starter cultures from sludge.

      You really need to do a lot more study on reuse, yeast ranching and
      the like, before you embark on this route. Just pitch your existing
      wort with a fresh pack of turbo yeast for now, before it gets an
      infection in it. While you're waiting for it to finish fermenting and
      clearing (10 - 14 days), check ot this part of Tony's site as a
      primer...
      http://distillers.tastylime.net/library/HomedistillerMirror/Org/ferment
      .htm#reuse

      or TinyURL... http://tinyurl.com/b7u86