16554Re: Need help with Condensor

    Jun 30, 2005
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, Mac McCaskie <mccaskie@k...>
      wrote:

      > Harry,
      > maybe these will help. This would be how it stands if it were all
      > together. You'll notice some parts are missing. I have designed
      in the
      > option to rotate the condenser to point up with condensate
      dripping out
      > the end of the Tee instead of the reducers (reducers would be
      added,
      > naturall). This would give the option to make it a reflux still
      as well.

      > However, I'm still needing to solve the leak problems.
      >
      > http://home.kc.rr.com/mccaskie/Images/condensor-004.jpg
      > http://home.kc.rr.com/mccaskie/Images/condensor-005.jpg
      > http://home.kc.rr.com/mccaskie/Images/condensor-007.jpg
      >
      > Have I gone down the wrong path? and should I re-think how this
      will work?

      > Mac

      Correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks to me like a glorified Liebig
      Condenser configuration. Instead of one central tube, you've opted
      for several (shotgun concept).

      As I suspected, you will have alcohol vapour and liquid in contact
      with ALL your joints. Therefore, the best way to tackle it is to do
      the internal pipes-to-endplates joints first with a high melting
      method, such as brazing, or TIG welding using copper wire as a
      filler. Then use the silver solder on the remaining jointing. That
      will stop new leaks from appearing if done right, as the silver
      solder requires less heat and is done last.

      I don't quite get why you're feeding the coolant into the shell
      chamber via pipes into the endplates? (or am I off-beam here?).
      Seems a tad complicated to me. Why not just bore holes top & bottom
      into the side of the shotgun shell and solder short lengths of 1/2"
      tube over the holes? Much easier to attach hoses, and no
      restriction to flow. Also eliminates the complications of the
      tailpipes being routed somehow through or around the Tee.

      How had you planned on handling reflux return to the column when you
      use it in an offset head configuration? i.e. condenser rotated
      upward?