14949Re: Pot Still Temps with Corn Wash

  • bbmdave
    Mar 12, 2005
      I found the picture of something close to the photo,in home
      distillers I think ( It's been a long time and a lot of liters).
      And copied it.(well a version of what I saw anyway)
      Works great for checking your percentages and cuts.
      I think Harry is describing something like this.
      Would like to see a pic if you have one .

      Look in Photos Constant %

      Dave

      , Rana Pipiens <ranawater@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Thanks Harry. So the %abv is more useful in making the cuts
      than
      ------------------------
      >> Yup. Get accurate readings on the alcometer. There's an old
      > instrument you don't see much of nowadays called a 'parrot's
      beak'.
      > Basically it's a tube closed at the bottom and with a spillover
      > (shaped like a bird's beak) at the top, into the collection
      vessel.
      > The alcometer floats in this tube and the takeoff from the
      potstill
      > condenser is fed into the tube. Readings are checked periodically
      > and when the correct percentages are reached, you switch
      collection
      > vessels between heads, hearts, & tails. It requires that the
      > takeoff feed be at or near the calibrated temp of the alcometer,
      > otherwise adjustment calculations need to be made.
      >
      > Slainte!
      > regards Harry
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic