12104Re: making a still for grappa

  • waljaco
    Oct 3, 2004
      Grape pomace (vinaccia) contains about 5%abv for red grapes and about
      1/2 that amount for white grapes. So you are dealing with large
      volumes of low alcohol material. Not fun. Also the normal practice is
      to add 50% water to the pomace for ease of distilling. There is also
      the danger of scorching the pomace. The most rustic way to prevent
      this is to put vine cuttings on the bottom of your boiler. You could
      also have a perforated plate, a double boiler or just inject steam
      into the pomace. I suggest a more practical method for the
      homedistiller is to reconstitute the wine must, by adding sugar and
      water and then distill the clear wash as if making brandy -
      Grappa

      ciao,
      uaglio