11802Re: Is my mash done?

  • pthoma_nz
    Aug 31, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "joebobfla" <joebobfla@y...>
      wrote:
      > Hi all. I used 1/4 cup of yeast, 23L water and 10-12 lbs sugar in
      3
      > seperate containers.. My bublers are moving at a rate of less then
      > once every few min. after 8 days of going at a fair clip. I am
      > thinking of opening the containers tonight to take a look. What am
      > looking for? and if there is a layer of nasty looking stuff on the
      > top, should I just skim it off. That's what I did last time but
      gave
      > no time to settle again before cooking. Came out clean, clear, 130
      > proof and crappy, cause of the tails we assume.
      > bottoms up, Joe

      If ya bubblers are still going... it hasn't finished...
      Once it is complete all the yeast will drop out of suspension and
      hit the bottom. Syphon out the wash leaving about 2 cm of gunk
      behind. You will get flavours unless your still is good enough to
      cut them out...

      peet
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic