11621Re: Polishing spirit
- Aug 9 2:17 PM--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, Scott Petrinec
> If the headache is behind the eyes...that is the first sign ofmethanol poisoning. BE SURE TO REMOVE ALL METHANOL.
"Remove all methanol" is sound advice. However I doubt that
methanol is the problem here. I'd be looking at other things
like 'nasties' produced by stressed yeast working under less-than-
ideal conditions, like too little nutrient, poor temperature
control, O.G too high, any one of a dozen things that affect the by-
products that yeasts make. Some of these do carry over.
The amount of methanol produced by pure sugar fermentations is
negligable. All grain fermentations produce a heck of a lot more,
and in fact methanol is present in even the very best commercial
Scotch Malts, ranging from 38 to 140 ppm (parts per million).
Moonshine tested at the same time on the same gas chromatograph
showed methanol at 41 ppm.
The amount of methanol needed in your system to produce signs of
poisoning is very high (15 - 30 ml of 40% solution).
Speaking of 'signs of poisoning',...
(source: http://www.homestead.com/emguidemaps/files/methanol.html )
- many of the early symptoms of methanol poisoning are non-specific
eg. headache, dizziness, malaise, generalized weakness, altered
sensorium, acute mania, and paresthesias.
- the most characteristic symptoms that are very suggestive of
methanol toxicity are the visual symptoms - blurred vision,
decreased vision, snowfield blindness - described as "seeing a
snowstorm" or "stepping into a snowfield", visual scintillations,
photophobia, constricted vision or visual field defects, total
- << Previous post in topic Next post in topic >>