11606[new_distillers] Re: Polishing spirit

  • Lukas Paige
    Aug 8, 2004
      Your assumption is correct. Middle cut only treated though the
      Z-Filter. New Z-Filter, new carbon, instructions followed to the
      letter. Tails are not present as I take the cut before the tails
      start to appear. Even if I did get a slight amount of tails in there,
      wouldn't it be detectable, and wouldn't it get filtered out with the
      Z-Filter?

      Where in the still could I be getting impurities from? I used a new
      hot water system, new copper tubing, lead free solder, new scourers
      (tested to be stainless). The still has been run about 10 times now
      (5 batches, strip and final each) and is flushed with lots of water
      after every batch. It was also run with water first to get rid of any
      solder.

      The product made looks great, smells great and tastes great. Very
      very, VERY close to commercial grade vodka. Water is definitely
      consumed with a session. But the headache feeling is definitely NOT a
      normal hangover one. It's only slight, but it's piercing and in
      behind the eyes. At first I thought it was the sugar wash, but after
      lots of reading I think it's something else...

      Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

      LP.