11339Re: Steel 44 Gallon Boiler.

  • deddkatt
    Jun 22, 2004
      Sorry to backtrack so far, but I am catching up after a long hiatus
      from computer use. The following is an abstract from an article
      published in the British medical journal, LANCET. Thought you all
      might find it worth considering when fabricating equipment. -DK

      "In a survey of 505 rural Zimbabweans, iron overload was found almost
      exclusively among men who consumed traditional beer brewed in steel
      drums. Among drinkers aged over 45 years, 23 of 111 men (21%) had
      high serum ferritin and a transferrin saturation of over 70%, a
      combination that indicates a risk of liver disease and other
      pathological effects from excess body iron. Iron overload, which is
      reported to be decreasing among urban Africans, may remain a public
      health issue in rural areas where more than 80% of the people of sub-
      Saharan Africa live."

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Brain Solenoid"
      <brain_solenoid@y...> wrote:
      > After you get away from the fact that the steel boiler will rust and
      > not only dump a lot of iron oxides into the boiling wash but also
      be a
      > real pain to clean afterwards, you are faced with the chore of
      trying
      > to remove the paint.
      >
      > The option of leaving the paint on is really not an option. Please
      > ask yourself, "Would I eat this paint?", because that, in essence,
      is
      > what you'll be doing.
      >
      > The nature of the distillation process takes numerous chemicals in
      the
      > boiler and condenses them into another, more pure, solution. The
      > paint chemicals will follow this path........especially if their
      > volitile temperatures fall within the 178F degrees range.
      >
      > Please, do your self a favor and find another boiler. I know the
      > steel barrel is cheap and/or free, but your health isn't.
      >
      > Regards,
      > BS
      >

      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004"
      <ledaswan@i...>
      > wrote:
      > > Hi,
      > >
      > > I want to use a steel 44 gal drum as a boiler for a large still.
      > > use several times for a stripping run.
      > >
      > > It is painted inside and the lid has an external rim clamp.
      > > I know it would be perfect in SS, but dont have one.
      > >
      > > Does anyone see any isses with the resulting distillate. In the
      > > worst case senario, what would happen if you had a rusty drum as
      > > boiler?
      > >
      > > Hari.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic