11193Re: Steel 44 Gallon Boiler.

  • waljaco
    Jun 1, 2004
      Rust does not carry over. There have been cast iron rum boilers and
      wooden Coffey stills. Here is a SE Asian example - the fermenting is
      done in clay pots and the distillation in 44gal drums:
      1) http://fabien.aubert.free.fr/fab_laos_02_34g.jpg
      2) http://www.shieldsaroundtheworld.com/pics/P0003125.jpg
      3) http://www.amateras.com/trip/laos/LaoMake360x240.jpg

      wal
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "seaker350" <seaker350@y...>
      wrote:
      > > > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "harisaki2004"
      > <ledaswan@i...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > I want to use a steel 44 gal drum as a boiler for a large
      still.
      > > > use several times for a stripping run.
      > > >
      > > > It is painted inside and the lid has an external rim clamp.
      > > > I know it would be perfect in SS, but dont have one.
      > > >
      > > > Does anyone see any isses with the resulting distillate. In
      the
      > > > worst case senario, what would happen if you had a rusty drum
      as
      > > > boiler?
      > > >
      > > > Hari.
      >
      > Murphy's law at it's finest. The true followers of the craft of
      > making home made product work hours at cleaning and sanitizing
      their
      > equipment every time they produce a batch, whether making mash,
      > distilling, or before or cleaning up after each procedure. Yes,
      > economical is good, but not thinking clearly can be deadly. All I
      > ask is that if you read the previous posts, take a moment to think,
      > and ask yourself, would this make a premium product? If you start
      > cutting corners on the most basic premise of the craft, attention
      > could be drawn to what is still an illegal procedure. This could
      be
      > bad. Think, Read, think, and read some more. Questions are good,
      > but this is similar to "If I slit my wrists, will I have a
      > headache?" Keep searching, and you will come up with the perfect
      > solution. I wish you well.
    • Show all 14 messages in this topic