10808Re: My First Sugar Wash!

  • txbajabill
    Apr 1, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "gatesbox" <gatesbox@y...>
      > sorry for my uneducated curiosity but what are you trying to make
      > your finished product? The recipe sounds interesting but so
      > complicated for a simple high yield sugar wash. What are the
      > benefits to your choice of sugars, corn, etc? It seems you must be
      > going for a certain flavor in your finished spirit. Perhaps others
      > can explain also what the benefits of adding various ingredients to
      > the wash. Are the lemon, corn, multiple sugars in place of yeast
      > nutrients for a stable fermentation?

      Good question, for which I have a half-answer! The overall goal was
      for a successful fermentation, but also to see what kind of flavor I
      could yield from the wash. I'll be honest, I don't quite know what
      flavor this will cook up. My first two runs were pure water, and the
      third run I made was with 4 liters of 12% red wine and 350 ml of
      nasty sugar cane brandy (some old bottle of Berretega Mexican sugar
      cane brandy; tasted like bitter pecan shell). I was quite amazed how
      much the flavor of the wine and brandy survived through the reflux
      column and went into the final product. It was a sweet, strong
      grappa/brandy tasting vodka. I would postulate that much of the
      flavor of the wash will carry over through the run.

      First, I would like to credit a few others' recipes and ideas.
      Namely, Mikrobios' recipe, "Wine for Distilling," Dr. Legendre's "One
      Dollar Wash" recipe, Tony Ackland for his wonderful webpage
      and "Jack" for his numerous ideas. My recipe is a piecemeal of data
      and ideas from these sources.

      I used the 6-row crystal malted barley for it's starch, flavor and
      acid buffering capacity. The corn meal was added for starch, flavor
      and the thiamine (B-1) enrichment that is helpful to the yeast. I
      used brown sugar and the Mexican unrefined "piloncillo" brown sugar
      for flavor and nutrients not found in the pure white cane sugar.
      Piloncillo is made from pure unrefined brown sugar and invert syrup.
      The lemon juice provided valuable vitamins and citric acid, which
      along with the Acid Blend (malic, citric, tartaric) helped to invert
      the cane sugar (sucrose) during the 15 minute boil. The inverted
      sugar is easier for the yeast to digest as opposed to straight
      disolved sucrose. The yeast nutrient is self-explanatory, while the
      orange juice also added vitamins, minerals and most importantly,
      cellular structure (pulp) to aid the yeast in the end of fermentation
      by preventing compaction and autolysis of the yeast. The multi-
      vitamin tablet was just additional nutrient, but perhaps unneccesary.

      It will be interesting to see what kind of flavor I'll get from the
      wash. Primarily, I wanted to avoid a stuck fermentation. I'll be
      honest, I was afraid that I had pitched the yeast when the wort was
      too hot and all was for naught. I was very relieved when the
      fermentation took off; it took off like a rocket too!
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic