10346Re: Oak Boxes

  • Tarvus
    Feb 1, 2004
      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Toni Smith" <tonimarie@i...>
      wrote:
      > Ok a quick question....had the timber been aged for 1 to 2 years
      before
      > crafting (2 years is preferable)....if not then of course you would
      have
      > ended up with warping due to the timber still being green...I know
      this
      > well as my dad runs a sawmill and was an A+ student in woodwork at
      high
      > school
      >
      > Toni Smith
      > ICQ 166838134
      > MSN tonimarie29@h...

      Yes Toni,

      It was well aged wood. The place I bought it from specialized in
      rare woods and all were kiln dried and aged. This particular piece
      was also selected from a considerable number of pieces for its grain
      configuration and lack of warping in the warehouse.

      The moisture from the water would probably have a greater effect on
      warping the more aged the wood was since the aged wood would be
      drier. I was surprised to see how much the heat caused warping too.

      The basic point remains. Booze boxes don't work as well as barrels
      do. In fact, they don't work at all. I wish I could report
      otherwise.

      Tar
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic