10345Re: Oak Boxes

  • Brain Solenoid
    Feb 1 6:48 PM
      Wood Pipes...........must've been real tastey water in the summer!
      Well...I'll bet their immune systems were stronger back then.

      Seattle had an extensive wood pipe network as well and had some real
      issues with them during their big fire in June of 1889. The pipes
      and the low tides allowed downtown Seattle to go up in flames since
      many of the hydrant lines had decayed and there wasn't enough water
      pressure to overcome the leaks. I'm told it became a real
      controversy after the fire.

      I'm always amazed at just how many things were made of wood before
      the aluminum and steel industry became more affordable. Up until the
      1940's, there were still breweries in the U.S. that were using wood
      kegs in which to deliver beer. These kegs weren't chared, but must
      have still imparted some kind of flavor to the beer, which was also
      probably better because they didn't brew as much with those
      abominations: corn and rice.

      You get a lot of benefits from circular structure. One, there are no
      corners, so there are no stress concentration regions of the pipe.
      Second, because it is round, it sees all load, uniformaly over its
      cross section, for the least amount of material.
      However, I have gone to sushi bars and drank saki out of one of those
      square "box-cups". Great times, when I can remember them!

      Great to see there are others "of the trade" on-line!
      PS - I would have thought the greatest load would be at the extreme
      outer surface, where it not only takes the maximum bending loads (
      Stress = [M*C]/I ) but also the burst pressure ( Stress = F/A ). If
      a rigid pipe bend while pressurized it will rupture at the tensile
      extreme surface. Right?

      Regards, and don't take any wooden nickels!
      BS

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "grayson_stewart66"
      <grayson_stewart66@y...> wrote:
      > I'm an engineer also and was surprised to find the number of wooden
      > pipes used in the early years. A few are seen at this link
      > http://www.sewerhistory.org/grfx/components/pipe-wood2.htm
      >
      > Most are round and vary rarely was there ever a wooden conduit
      > formed in a "square". In a round structure the greatest stresses
      > are usually on the inner most face - the primary area we want a
      good
      > seal.
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic