10085Re: New to brew, you?

  • cheeperdrunk
    Dec 31, 2003
      Congeners..
      Congeners are toxic substances created during the alcohol
      fermentation process. When you drink alcohol, these toxins are
      dispersed into your system as your liver breaks down the alcohol.
      While congeners are not the sole cause of a hangover, they do seem to
      contribute in some manner to the "quality" of the ensuing hangover
      visit here for more info. http://www.all-about-
      hangovers.com/html/congeners.html

      --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ray_goering" <rgoering@m...>
      wrote:
      > --- In new_distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...>
      wrote:
      > > Note - some fruits do not have much flavor!
      > > Fruit flavor -
      > > use more fruit - up to all fruit.
      > > distill between 75-60%abv.
      > > steep fruit in 65%abv and then redistill - 2-4kg fruit/litre
      alc.,
      > > then dilute to 40-45%abv.
      > > If you throw away the first 3% (about 100ml for a 20l wash) you
      > will
      > > eliminate methanol. Fusel alcohols have a BP higher than 92C.
      > >
      > > Wal
      >
      > Thanks Wal,
      > My concern is that, according to the charts I have, Propanol's
      > (rubbing alcohol)BP is 82C. Is that safe to drink?
      >
      > I'm kinda confused as to the nature of the fusel oils. Some
      > places say strip it out completely with carbon, others say its what
      > flavors the brew. I've read the whiskey is both heads and tails.
      > thought the point was to ditch both because thay contained
      poison.
      > For the most part what I figured out is to strip all the methenol I
      > can out, and try to stop before I get too much fusels. Should I be
      > testing my distillate on the family pets to see if its okay to
      drink?

      > Let me get this stright, if I do a primary "stripping run" in a
      > pot still configuration, dilute, and then reflux it, it will retain
      > flavor? Won't it be still come out as neutral spirit with little
      > no taste? If I just made the high % distillate and then steeped it
      > in fruit would that absorb flavor?
      >
      > I've read things that say as much, but I was hoping to get
      people
      > who have actually done it.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic