AI-GEOSTATS: kriging and groundwater chemistry

  • Oliver Sonnentag
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 19, 2003
      hello list,
      i have the following question regarding kriging and groundwater
      chemistry.
      i'm a grad student in GIS and i've chosen a topic
      dealing with the interpolation of parameters for groundwater
      chemistry by kriging (approx 3000 observation wells). i got tons of
      additional data (landuse, hydrology, geology, soil parameters,
      DGM , etc.....) and i'm looking for a kriging technique supporting
      additional information (qualitative: landuse and aquifers as well as
      quantitative: certain soil paramters, infiltration rate, etc). at first i
      was thinking about Bayes-Markov-Kriging and/ or Simple Updating-
      Kriging and finally compare the results of these with the results of
      simulation. now after almost three weeks of intensive literature
      review (Bardossy (Simple Updating), Goovaerts (Simple with
      varying mean, Cokriging), Pebesma (Ordinary block), Lehmann
      (Bayes-Markov and others), etc.....all dealing with kriging of
      groundwater chemistry supporting additional information or kriging
      of other z-values supporting additional information) and playing
      around with some programs checking out their suitability and
      capabilities (GSTAT, GSLIB, VarioWin, Geostatistical Analyst for
      ArcInfo 8.2, SURFER 8) I'm a little bit confused about the
      appropriate kriging technique and the program(s) to accomplish
      this task. ...............
      as a first step I want to analyse the data to distinct "real" outliers
      that have to be removed from areas with exceptional high values
      that shouldn't be removed (rather find the (hydro)geological sources
      for their existence). as the data comes in ESRI's shape format I
      really appreciated the interactive capabilites when testing their
      Geostatistical Analyst for ArcInfo 8.2 (histogram, qq-plots, voronoi,
      trend analysis, etc.) in combination with Moving Windows statistics
      in ArcView 3.x and CrimeStat for some summary statistics (Moran
      , Geary...)
      the Geostat Analyst also offers an interactive environment for
      finding a suitable model variogram based on the experimental one
      as well as several kriging techniques and crossvalidation. I'm still
      not sure if these would be sufficient (in this case I was thinking
      about Cokriging to handle the additional information as done by
      Goovaerts for precipitation). Has anyone out there some
      experiences with the GA (and cokriging with the second variable
      being influential groundwater chemistry determining factors)?
      working with gstat under W2K (or Linux....i got both running) would
      have the advantages of being able to import/ export ASCIIgrid from
      ArcInfo (running under W2K, that's whay I installed the Windows
      verision of Gstat too) and do the simulation for comparison.
      as this is a MSc thesis (limited time) and I have to mainly focus
      on how to combine the most influental factors on groundwater
      chemistry as additional
      information for kriging, i don't have the time to focus on writing or
      adapting routines (especially when considering my rudimentary
      programming skills). so i'm looking for (an) existing program(s) to
      support my results (the aforementioned appropriate groundwater
      chemistry determing factors) with examples... which kriging
      technique(s) and simulation technique(s) would be appropriate?
      which of the aforementioned porgrams would be the best ("best" for
      allowing quantitive and qualitative additional information for the
      chosen kriging technique) option?
      many, many thanx in advance for any help and support.
      sincerely,
      Oliver
      p.s.: will write a summary