AI-GEOSTATS: Nugget effect and Surfer 8

  • Gregoire Dubois
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 4, 2003
      Has anyone encountered a problem with Surfer 8 and its settings for what
      concerns the search strategy and its impact on the nugget effect?

      If you set the search option to "No Search" during the gridding step, and if
      you set any value for the nugget effect (the error variance here only, I kept
      the micro variance equal to zero), the cross-validation function of Surfer
      will give you always the same statistics for the residuals!

      However, if you set a large radius of search in the search option (as a
      result, the search strategy is the same as if you were using the "no search"
      option), then only one can see the impact of the nugget effect on the results.

      I have just asked the software developers for more info about this matter but
      was wondering if my approach was wrong or if this is what a believe a nasty
      bug.

      The output maps, however, seem to deal properly with the nugget effect. I
      presume that the cross-validation algorithm only is not correct.

      Any feedback would be appreciated.

      Have a nice week-end !

      Gregoire