AI-GEOSTATS: factorial cokriging in 2 steps??

  • Jean-Philippe Goyen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 31, 2003
      hello ai-geostatisticians,

      I am trying to program factorial co-kriging for filtering of seismic amplitudes. But I didn't find anywhere the algorithm or even matrix formulation of the system to solve. As I am more a computer-scientist than a geostatistician, I am not sure of setting the rigth system to solve.

      So I was just wondering if it would be correct to perform factorial kriging of my two sets of data (as I could obtain decomposed variograms), and then cokrige the results ? (hope my question has a sense).

      Thank you very much for any advice or reference.

      Jean-Philippe Goyen

      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 31, 2003
        Dear Jean-Philippe,

        Your question is somewhat puzzling. In fact, in all rigor
        factorial kriging is already a kind of cokriging since
        you are estimating a variable (i.e. spatial component)
        from another variable (raw measurements).
        Are you trying to estimate regionalized factors, that
        is perform multivariate factorial kriging, or do you
        want to filter your seimic data and use it as secondary
        information to estimate another variable?
        I used a similar approach in:

        Goovaerts, P. 1999.
        Accounting for scale-dependent correlation in the spatial prediction
        of soil properties. In A. Soares, J. Gomez-Hernandez, and R. Froidevaux,
        editors, geoENV II - Geostatistics for Environmental Applications.
        Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, pages 405-416.

        Regards,

        Pierre

        Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
        President of PGeostat, LLC