AI-GEOSTATS: [S] Gstat: multivariable geostatistics for S (R and S-Plus)

  • Edzer J. Pebesma
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 12, 2003
      The majority of the functionality present in the gstat stand-alone
      program (http://www.gstat.org/) is now available as a package/library for
      the S language (R, S-Plus), again called gstat. The package provides
      multivariable geostatistical modelling, prediction and simulation, as
      well as several visualisation functions. Gstat was started 10 years
      ago and was released under the GPL in 1996; the original stand-alone
      program is closely linked to several GIS systems. Gstat was not initially
      written for teaching purposes, but for research purposes, emphasizing
      flexibility, scalability and portability. It can deal with a large number
      of practical issues in geostatistics, including change of support (block
      kriging), simple/ordinary/universal (co)kriging, fast local neighbourhood
      selection, flexible trend modelling, variables with different sampling
      configurations, and efficient simulation of large spatially correlated
      random fields, indicator kriging and simulation, and (directional)
      variogram and cross variogram modelling. The S formula/models interface
      is used to define multivariable geostatistical models.

      The source and windows package for R are available from CRAN. The page on
      http://www.gstat.org/s.html has links to R and S-Plus (6.x) source code,
      as well as examples, graphs, and a longer list of features. (A binary
      Win32 S-Plus library is planned later this year.)

      On http://www.ci.tuwien.ac.at/Conferences/DSC-2003/ you can find a
      draft paper further describing the package.

      Any feedback is appreciated.
      --
      Edzer
      .

    • Nick Hamm
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 7, 2003
        Hi,

        I've been using gstat under R and trying to do some
        block--kriging. I then want display the output from the block kriging
        using the levelplot command. However, I don't quite understand the
        syntax heere

        For eg. if I take the sample data--set that is provided and have a go at
        one of the examples:

        x <- krige(log(zinc) ~ 1, ~x + y, meuse, meuse.grid,
        model = v, nmax = 40, block = c(40, 40))

        I get a data.frame that is the same length as if I did:

        x <- krige(log(zinc) ~ 1, ~x + y, meuse, meuse.grid,
        model = v, nmax = 40)

        So I'm not quite sure what output in the former means and how I can plot
        an image of the block--kriging results.

        If anybody has any suggestions, I would be grateful.

        Nick

        --
        Nick Hamm
        Department of Geography

        Office: ++ 44 23 8059 2013 (internal x22013)
        Mobile: ++ 44 7887 578 442
        Fax: ++ 44 23 8059 3295
        Email: n.hamm@...