Re: AI-GEOSTATS: mean of residuals in simple kriging with means

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
      Hi Lorenz,

      As long as the mean is known and assumed constant
      across the study area, you can apply simple kriging.
      There is no need for that mean to be zero.

      Cheers,

      Pierre

      Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
      President of PGeostat, LLC
      Chief Scientist with Biomedware Inc.
      710 Ridgemont Lane
      Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48103-1535, U.S.A.

      E-mail: goovaert@...
      Phone: (734) 668-9900
      Fax: (734) 668-7788

      On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Dobler, Lorenz wrote:

      > hello list,
      >

      > in simple kriging with means the mean of residuals is presumed to be zero.
      > if i derive (varying) local means from (correct) regression analysis,
      > residuals usually (should) satisfy the condition of zero mean. but if i use
      > predefined/"regional" (varying) local means i have some problems because the
      > mean of residual is far away from zero.
      >
      > is it absolutely necessecary in simple kriging with vaying local means that
      > the mean of residuals is really zero ?
      > if yes what can i do because my residuals are far awya from zero?
      >
      > i would be glad if someone could give some advice
      >
      > regards
      >
      > Lenz
      >

      > Lorenz Dobler
      > Bayerisches Geologisches Landesamt
      > (Geological Survey of Bavaria)
      > Heßstrasss 128
      > D-80797 München
      > Germany
      > Tel.: 0049/(0)89/9214-2756
      > email: Lorenz.Dobler@...
      > http://www.geologie.bayern.de/

    • Valquiria Ferraz Quirino
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 5, 2003
        Dear list,

        I know this is a specific question but maybe someone can help me. I have
        Variowin version 2.2 that our institute bought with the first edition
        of the book. However after calculating the pcf file, the program can get to
        open it in the Vario2D with PCF. I receive the following message: "PCF does not
        have the right format; you should rebuild it with the latest version of
        Prevar2d". Does anyone have some idea for what reason the program read the file
        normally to produce the pcf file and than afterwards says that
        it can't read the same file that it produced? What can I do to solve this?
        OBS: The program is installed in a machine that has Windows NT.
        Another question. Where can I download Variowin from the web? I am asking
        because I tried from the following page,
        http://www-sst.unil.ch/research/variowin/index.html, and the server is always
        down. Is there any other option?
        Thanks!

        =====
        Forst-Ing. Valquiria Ferraz Quirino

        Kappler Straße 57, Zi. 2121, 79117 Freiburg i. Br. Deutschland
        Tel.: +49 761 6806-6204

        Busca Yahoo!
        O serviço de busca mais completo da Internet. O que você pensar o Yahoo! encontra.
        http://br.busca.yahoo.com/

      • Bilisoly, Roger L
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 7, 2003
          Valquiria,

          Try http://www.geo.tu-freiberg.de/hydro/vorl_portal/statistik/
          There's a link toward the bottom of the Web page to download
          the Variowin.

          Roger

          Roger L. Bilisoly, Ph.D.
          Geohydrology Department

[...]