AI-GEOSTATS: mean of residuals in simple kriging with means

  • Dobler, Lorenz
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 24, 2003
      hello list,

      in simple kriging with means the mean of residuals is presumed to be zero.
      if i derive (varying) local means from (correct) regression analysis,
      residuals usually (should) satisfy the condition of zero mean. but if i use
      predefined/"regional" (varying) local means i have some problems because the
      mean of residual is far away from zero.

      is it absolutely necessecary in simple kriging with vaying local means that
      the mean of residuals is really zero ?
      if yes what can i do because my residuals are far awya from zero?

      i would be glad if someone could give some advice

      regards

      Lenz

      Lorenz Dobler
      Bayerisches Geologisches Landesamt
      (Geological Survey of Bavaria)
      Heßstrasss 128
      D-80797 München
      Germany
      Tel.: 0049/(0)89/9214-2756
      email: Lorenz.Dobler@...
      http://www.geologie.bayern.de/

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 1, 2003
        Hi Lorenz,

        As long as the mean is known and assumed constant
        across the study area, you can apply simple kriging.
        There is no need for that mean to be zero.

        Cheers,

        Pierre

        Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
        President of PGeostat, LLC
        Chief Scientist with Biomedware Inc.
        710 Ridgemont Lane
        Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48103-1535, U.S.A.

        E-mail: goovaert@...
        Phone: (734) 668-9900
        Fax: (734) 668-7788

        On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Dobler, Lorenz wrote:

        > hello list,
        >

        > in simple kriging with means the mean of residuals is presumed to be zero.
        > if i derive (varying) local means from (correct) regression analysis,
        > residuals usually (should) satisfy the condition of zero mean. but if i use
        > predefined/"regional" (varying) local means i have some problems because the
        > mean of residual is far away from zero.
        >
        > is it absolutely necessecary in simple kriging with vaying local means that
        > the mean of residuals is really zero ?
        > if yes what can i do because my residuals are far awya from zero?
        >
        > i would be glad if someone could give some advice
        >
        > regards
        >
        > Lenz
        >

        > Lorenz Dobler
        > Bayerisches Geologisches Landesamt
        > (Geological Survey of Bavaria)
        > Heßstrasss 128
        > D-80797 München
        > Germany
        > Tel.: 0049/(0)89/9214-2756
        > email: Lorenz.Dobler@...
        > http://www.geologie.bayern.de/

      • Valquiria Ferraz Quirino
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2003
          Dear list,

          I know this is a specific question but maybe someone can help me. I have
          Variowin version 2.2 that our institute bought with the first edition
          of the book. However after calculating the pcf file, the program can get to
          open it in the Vario2D with PCF. I receive the following message: "PCF does not
          have the right format; you should rebuild it with the latest version of
          Prevar2d". Does anyone have some idea for what reason the program read the file
          normally to produce the pcf file and than afterwards says that
          it can't read the same file that it produced? What can I do to solve this?
          OBS: The program is installed in a machine that has Windows NT.
          Another question. Where can I download Variowin from the web? I am asking
          because I tried from the following page,
          http://www-sst.unil.ch/research/variowin/index.html, and the server is always
          down. Is there any other option?
          Thanks!

          =====
          Forst-Ing. Valquiria Ferraz Quirino

          Kappler Straße 57, Zi. 2121, 79117 Freiburg i. Br. Deutschland
          Tel.: +49 761 6806-6204

          Busca Yahoo!
          O serviço de busca mais completo da Internet. O que você pensar o Yahoo! encontra.
          http://br.busca.yahoo.com/

        • Bilisoly, Roger L
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 7, 2003
            Valquiria,

            Try http://www.geo.tu-freiberg.de/hydro/vorl_portal/statistik/
            There's a link toward the bottom of the Web page to download
            the Variowin.

            Roger

            Roger L. Bilisoly, Ph.D.
            Geohydrology Department

[...]