AI-GEOSTATS: OSSFIM

  • Valquiria Ferraz Quirino
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2003
      Dear all,

      I wrote to you a few weeks ago about some questions on estimating the optimum size of sampling plots. I found in one article that there is a program that does this which is called OSSFIM. I looked in internet and found an internet version. Has any one used it? Would it recommend? How can I get a full version? I read that this program was originally written in Fortran and described in the following article:

      McBratney, A.B., R.Webster (1981). The design of optimal sampling schemes for local estimation and mapping of regionalized variables: 2 program and examples. Computers and Geosciences 7: 335-365.

      Thank again.

      Valquiria

      Forst-Ing. Valquiria Ferraz Quirino

      Kappler Straße 57, Zi. 2121, 79117 Freiburg i. Br. Deutschland
      Tel.: +49 761 6806-6204

    • Edzer J. Pebesma
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 17, 2003
        Valquiria,

        OSSFIM calculates block kriging prediction errors as a function of data grid
        spacing, block size, and variogram model

        Any block kriging program can do this for you, but OSSFIM tries to do it in
        an organized way, varying (IIRC) block size and data grid spacing given
        a variogram model. To do this with e.g. GSLIB or (plain) gstat would be a bit
        of an effort.

        I wrote the web interface to OSSFIM, http://www.gstat.org/ossfim.html a few
        years back. It is not based on the OSSFIM fortran code,but uses gstat. The
        page also tells you:

        Differences from the original OSSFIM version
        The original OSSFIM program by McBratney and Webster has more options than this
        web-version:
        it can handle triangular grids, it can handle the case where the block is
        centered around a sample point, and it deals with variograms with anisotropy.
        Gstat can
        calculate block kriging standard errors in all these cases, but not through
        this
        html-interface.

        You can run it as a stand alone program using

        gstat -e ossfim [arguments]

        the arguments are not documented, you have to run a few html versions
        (http://www.gstat.org/ossfim_form.html ) to see how it works.

        Any responses are welcome.
        --
        Edzer