Re: AI-GEOSTATS: cokriging and ked

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 16, 2003
      Hello,

      It is my experience that, for a given data set,
      the impact of secondary information is usually
      more pronounced when using KED (kriging with
      external drift) or SKLM (simple kriging with
      local means) instead of cokriging.
      Several factors will control the relative influence of
      secondary information in cokriging, namely
      the correlation coefficient, sampling intensity,
      and relative nugget effect of primary versus
      secondary variables. As I showed in my book, if
      the primary variable has a much larger nugget
      effect than the secondary variable and the two are
      well correlated, the secondary data may screen the
      influence of primary data. Try to play with
      these parameters and see what would be the impact on
      the final map. Although a detailed map might appear
      more desirable or "better" at first glance, beware
      that the impact of your DEM can be overestimated
      by some techniques and you might end up getting better
      re-estimation results for the smooth map.

      KED could be performed using the program kt3d in Gslib.

      Hope it helps,

      Pierre

      Dr. Pierre Goovaerts
      Consultant in (Geo)statistics
      President of PGeostat, LLC
      and Senior Chief Scientist with Biomedware Inc.
      710 Ridgemont Lane
      Ann Arbor, Michigan, 48103-1535, U.S.A.

      E-mail: goovaert@...
      Phone: (734) 668-9900